Jesus! Has it been that long since the last Jingle Jangle? The natives are restless you say? Well there is a light at the end of the tunnel. New events are on the horizon and as soon as we dot the i’s and cross the t’s, you’ll be the first to know about it.
In the meantime, I’ve prepared a new mix for y’all entitled ‘Didn’t It Rain’, you can get it here
It is a collection of mostly gospel tracks with a few family folk numbers thrown in for good measure. Keep your ears out for some gems such as ‘Pray On’ by the Willannette singers, an uplifting slow belter that had me clambering for my local church’s address even though I haven’t been in a religious institution since my bar mitzvah 15 years ago. Then there’s the title track ‘Didn’t it Rain’ by Evelyn Freeman – if this song doesn’t fill your heart with joy and make you want to dance you are a soulless devil worshipper. And rounding the mix out is the gospel worlds answer to George Michael, Pastor T.L. Barrett with ‘Like A Ship’.
Enjoy and God bless.
01) Seat In The Kingdom / Crumb Brothers 2:25
02) Peace On Earth / Coleman Family 1:41
03) Death In The Morning / Rev. A. Johnson 2:46
04) This Train / Rev. Ballinger 2:46
05) Help Me Jesus / White Family 3:12
06) Jesus Hits Like An Atom Bomb / Pilgrim Travelers 2:22
07) Take Care Of Us / The Revelations 2:42
08) Pray On / Willanette Singers 3:13
09) People Has It Hard / Coleman Family 2:59
10) Standing In The Safety Zone / Proffessor Johnson 2:06
11) There's A Light / Shirley Ann Lee 1:56
12) Peter And John / Andrew Wartts & The Gospel Storytellers 2:49
13) Eternal Life / Mosby Family Singers 2:51
14) Wade In The Water / Apostles Of Music 3:24
15) I Thank The Lord / Mighty Voices Of Wonder 3:17
16) Sinner Man / Gospel Supremes 2:32
17) Didn't It Rain / Evelyn Freeman 2:17
18) Look To Jesus / Reverend Lofton & The Holy Travellers 2:58
19) Like A Ship / Pastor T.L. Barrett & The Youth For Christ Choir 4:32
Smart Casual & I made this mix in March for culture blog Two Thousand's weekly mixtape feature. It was also to coincide with Jingle Jangle's 1st birthday and what turned out to be our last show at Good God (R.I.P).
There are some great tracks on this mix, not least the title track 'I Got Loaded' by Little Bob & The Lollipops, which was originally released on the La Louisianne label in the mid 1950's. It's a killer track and one of the finest odes to drinking ever released.
This is as good an overview of our night as any.
01) Ibrahim Electric - Arabian Boogaloo
02) The Skatalites – Christine Keeler
03) The Rhythm Kings - Exotic
04) Bill Haley - Chick Safari
05) Los Monstruous - Hey Monstruo
06) The Versatones - Bila
07) Howlin' Wolf - Down In The Bottom
08) Jack Dupree - Stumbling Block
09) Johnny Burnette - Honey Hush
10) Jimmy Nolan - I Can't Stand You No More
11) The Cardinals - Choo Choo
12) The "5" Royales - Take Me With You Baby
13) Little Bob - I Got Loaded
14) The "5" Royales - Think
15) Chuck Carbo & His Band - I Wake Up Crying
16) The Marvelows - Your Little Sister
17) The Metros - SInce I Found My Baby
18) The Paragons - Abba
19) The Outcasts - Loving You Sometimes